1. How do you classify your tours?
We all walk at different speeds; some find descents more difficult than ascents; short hikes can be very challenging; and the terrain underfoot can make all the difference, especially when compounded with adverse weather conditions or intense heat.
That said, we have chosen to classify our programmes into three categories of challenge as follows and you can click on each colour to go direct to more comprehensive details:
• Light or Easy – hikes designed to last half a day, normally the morning, leaving plenty of time for a later start, early arrival, bird watching, plant admiring and, of course [well this is France!] that all important lunch-break.
• Moderate – hikes that last most or the best part of the day and comprise moderate ascents, descents and distances.
• Harder – meaning they are quite challenging or challenging, full-day walking tours that feature significant ascents, descents or distances.
Whilst a light walking programme may offer one or two ‘moderate’ hiking opportunities, it would not comprise any ‘harder’ walks. On the other hand, a harder programme might feature a couple of moderate days, or even a light walking opportunity or a ‘rest day’.
All three challenge levels may be either inn-to-inn tours or multi-centre walks in France.
2. What’s included in your tours?
- Bed and breakfast in a single or double/twin-bedded room – 99% have en-suite bathroom and WCs.
- Evening meals may or may not be included, so please check on the particular tour page or flyer. Where there are convenient options in the over-night location, we prefer not to tie you to a certain hotel and prefer you to have the choice according to budget, diet or preference.
- All hotel taxes
- Luggage transfers – one case per person up to 15 or 20 kgs according to the tour in question – please consult relevant tour details. Travelling along with your luggage must normally be booked the evening before and involves a small extra cost which you pay direct to the luggage handler.
- People transfers where appropriate – see individual tour schedules.
- Excellent quality maps and walking notes that make orientation easy.
- Comprehensive holiday dossier.
- Emergency phone help-line open seven days a week from 8 till late.
3. What’s NOT included in your tours?
- Lunches – except on the RLS EXTRA TOUR – and all drinks and extras.
- Travel to the start and from the finish of the tour. Our customers recommend Rome to Rio for researching travel options and schedules.
- Personal expenses and entrances into any optional cultural visits and venues.
- Hiking, personal and travel insurances.
- Single rooms – unless booked at the single-person rate.
4. Can you provide independent testimonials of your tours?
Independent testimonials can be read here:
- Please visit each individual tour page. Scroll down to below the tour itinerary to find independent customer reviews and feedback on the tour in question.
- See The Sydney Morning Herald’s endorsement of The Enlightened Traveller.
- See the Forbes Traveler endorsement of The Enlightened Traveller.
- See a Top Contributor to Tripadvisor’s endorsement of The Enlightened Traveller.
- See a range of Customer Feedback to The Enlightened Traveller.